Wednesday, February 2, 2011

The Place of Kings

It's cold, damp and dark for many long hours. Everyone else around me feels the same. A wonderful sound of keys jingling reaches our ears. We all wait with great anticipation. The big doors groan and light floods into our eyes. A shadow blocks the light momentarily, then moves and the light reaches us once more. I can hear the others all whisper to who will get selected today. A giant hand reaches towards me. It picks me up and squeezes. Pain discharges through my body. Even through the pain I am exuberant that I have been selected. My joy is shattered when I am placed back with the others. I become full of rage and jealousy towards the lucky one. The student walks away and my chances of being used have been crushed, but wait I have another chance. The adolescent searches through the bin looking for the perfect one. This time it will be me. I swell myself up and move to the centre of the bin. The searching hands find me and I am lifted from my not so eternal captor. The darkness falls behind as the light bounces off me. My mind depicts the wondrous cascade of colours as I enter the place of kings. I suddenly feel weightless as I am expelled from my holder. I feel confusion as to why I am being discarded but then something erupts into my face. I absorb it and then it sends me back up into the waiting hands of my saviour. For the next hour I am over joyed as I am bounced, hit, passed and even served back and forth throughout the gym. I am unknown to the fear and sadness that surrounds my player because this is his last time in the gym, but for me this is the apex of my life. It seems to last for only mere seconds because a sound interrupts my thoughts. My user sighs and turns towards my prison. I hear each step fall as I am brought back to hell. My time in the hands of this amazing creature is at an end. I feel the air pass beside me as I fly through it. I land back in the bin with the others. The massive doors swing closed and we are all sent back into the blackness. The lock clicks shut and the fall of foot steps gets farther away. Now all I can do is wait, and wait till the gateway is opened once again.

No comments:

Post a Comment